Pages

Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Review: Garnier Skin Renew Miracle Skin Perfecter (BB Cream)



Garnier was among the first drugstore brands to adopt the BB cream beauty craze, and I hated their original formula, as it was too greasy for my oily skin and caused a few break-outs.  When I saw this one that just recently hit drugstores, I was intrigued by how it's marketed for those with combination to oily skin and claims to control oil.  After reading the box about 100 times and a bunch of good reviews from the users in the UK (where it was first released), I was convinced.  Let's just say Garnier got it right this time!

It's oil-free and non-comodogenic, which are two pluses for me.  I have not had any break-outs from this product.  I think Garnier anticipated the success of this product, as they released it in three shades, as opposed to the one shade of the original formula.  It comes in light/medium, medium/deep, and deep.  I have tried two out of the three shades.  At first, I purchased the light/medium shade, which was a bit too light for my face.  While it didn't look all that bad, since it blended fairly well, you could still tell it was a little too white for my face.  I returned it and went with the medium/deep shade.  This one worked out perfectly for me!

Before I get into the details, let me just say something about BB creams.  I have tried so so so many.  So far, I've liked Dr. Jart's the best, with Maybelline's coming in second.  I've tried the one by Smashbox, but I didn't think it performed miracles for the price you pay for a 1 oz. tube.  Same goes for the Dr. Jart, despite how much I did like it.  BB creams have essentially just become a multi-purpose moisturizer mixed with foundations.  I feel like everyone's just slappin' "BB cream" on tinted moisturizers for marketing purposes.  I consider this new rendition of the Garnier BB cream to be just that.  However, it's my favorite "BB cream"/tinted moisturizer I've tried thus far; therefore, I don't really care what it is, because it just works for me.

It literally does everything it says.  It's a bit watery and runny, so you have to be careful with storage and squeezing it out.  Once you rub it in, it starts to set and takes on a thicker consistency.  It has a matte finish once it's set.  I'm not going to lie, I might like this better than my foundation.  It's invisible on the skin, and does a good job at minimizing my imperfections. I only need a bit of under-eye concealer.  It definitely takes care of discolorations and gives you a nice even-tone.  I love that it has SPF in it too, since my foundation doesn't.  SPF 20 is better than nothing!  It really does keep my oil at bay for a few hours too, which is extremely rare for products.  

Here are the swatches of the two shades I tried (taken in fluorescent lighting w/ flash)

light/medium
When I initially squeezed the color out of the tube, I knew it would be too light.  While I am pasty, this just looked way too white for me.  It did brighten up my complexion, but was a lot harder to blend into my skin than the medium/deep.
(This is the amount I use for my entire face)

medium/deep
This shade is more light/medium than medium/deep to me.  This shade blends invisibly into my skin.  Just keep in mind that their shades run pretty light.
(I squeezed too much out here)

I would highly recommend this product!  I've even used this as a base for my foundation.  I just use less of it when I use it for this purpose.  I especially love using this for my no-fuss makeup days (most days of the week since I'm currently unemployed). It really is a skin perfecter!

Hope you guys enjoy this product as much as I am.  Share your thoughts with me and feel free to ask any questions.


-Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment