Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Maybelline Volum' Express Mega Plush Mascara Review: What's the hype about?

I have been really antsy to find a new go-to daytime mascara, since I have been using the same mascara for the past 4 years or so for day and night (L'Oreal's Teloscopic).  After hearing and reading great things about this product, I decided to give it a shot. 

VERDICT:

My lashes: 
  • black
  • thick 
  • long

The product:
  • Brush: large
  • Consistency: light and watery
  • Cost: $6.50 at Target
  • Manipulation: extremely difficult (had to work with it and made a mess in doing so)

The packaging is extremely appealing, which usually does not reflect the product's adequacy.  I have found (most of the time) that products that aren't that great compensate in their eye-catching packaging.  Great marketing strategy...BUT, while the colors of this mascara tube are pretty and cute, this mascara did not do it for me, and I returned it immediately. 

This product claims to not have less of the "waxy stuff" that makes our lashes hard and stuck together, but after trying this, I realize how necessary that "waxy stuff" actually is.  For me, I wanted a lighter mascara that wasn't so dramatic for daytime wear.  

Application:
The brush is pretty large, so you have to be careful with getting it on your lids.  It transfers to the lashes weirdly.  I felt like I wasn't putting anything on, and my eyelashes weren't changing much in their appearance.  After adding a second coat, I began to notice more separation, not volume.  It did not clump, being that the consistency was extremely watery, so that was a plus...or so I thought.  After applying it and letting it dry, I touched my lashes with my fingers; I thought it felt a bit like the way mascara feels after you've been wearing it all day and half of it has fallen off, contributing to your raccoon eyes.  I suppose I like my lashes to have that "hard" feeling that the wax provides.  I feel like this ensures it's staying power.  With the way my lashes felt with this, I just knew it was going to flake BIG TIME, and that it did.  

I think we all need to realize that we are all different.  My lashes are different than so-and-so's, who loved the mascara.  Although, I do feel that anything with a good reputation is worth a try, so I do encourage that you give it a shot.  I am most likely contributing to the small percentage of people that did not like the mascara.  

Also, another note I'd like to add.  A lot of people don't realize that you can return products you do not like.  Obviously, you have to try something to decide if you like it or not.  Even if it's been used once or twice, they will take it back (I'm talking major retailers: Target, Wal-mart, Sephora, Ulta etc.).  There is no sense in wasting money on products that you will never use.  As a college student, looking to save money, I return every product I am dissatisfied with.  I encourage everyone to do the same!   







 

No comments:

Post a Comment