Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Dry Shampoo 101: Pssssst, Batiste, Suave, and Tresemme


I know I'm not alone when I say that dry shampoo has to be one of the greatest inventions in the beauty world. My hair has always taken the longest in my beauty routine.  When I have to do all the works (wash, blow-dry, and straighten or curl), it can get up to over an hour spent on just my hair.  This is why I rely so heavily on dry shampoo, especially since my hair seems to get oily by the day after washing.

TRESemme Fresh Start was the very first dry shampoo I tried.  This dry shampoo resulted in a very skewed perception of what a dry shampoo should do.  It made my hair even more oily-looking with the nasty residue it left behind.  I realize that most dry shampoos go on gray, but it was particularly difficult to blend in the powder with this one, making it impossible for me to completely get rid of the gray hue on my hair.  Having black hair, this didn't go over well with me. This was a complete MISS for me.  

After about a year of practically boycotting dry shampoo from the bad first impression, I came across the Suave one and decided to give it a shot.  Hallelujah! This is a great drugstore dry shampoo, costing only about $3.  The smell really caught me offguard after trying the TRESemme.  I was expecting the same hairspray alcohol-y smell, but it ended up smelling like apricots (to me...it may smell like some other fruit to the next person).  This was extremely easy to blend in the gray color and did not leave a heavy residue behind.  My only con for this one is that it seems to run out extremely quickly!  I think they need to recall their packaging also because their spray can is faulty.  I took this on a trip twice, and each time, the entire can leaked.  When I took it out of my travel bag, I had an empty can and a bunch of apricot-smelling products.  I thought it was maybe the particular can I bought, but it happened to me with two different cans.  I just had to be sure it was kept upright if I took it with me on trips (which is harder than it sounds).  Other than that, it's excellent value for the price.

Based on some great reviews on the Batiste dry shampoo, I decided to give it a try.  This one quickly became the best I'd tried, blowing the TRESemme and Suave out of the water.  It is a little more expensive than the typical drugstore dry shampoo brands, running about $7-8, but I found it to be worth it.  I have only tried the original scent/formula, and it smells so fresh.  They do have a rose scent also, but I stay away from anything rose-scented since it anything rose screams "old lady" to me.  It is easy to blend the powder, and it's long-lasting (a quality I had yet to experience in the two I'd tried).  I have found that with the Suave, my hair will regain its oiliness within hours, while this one usually lasts me all day.  So, you pay more, but in the end, it evens out since you don't have to keep reapplying it.  Usually this is how it works with all products you find yourself paying more for.  I have repurchased this dry shampoo 3 times.  This brand can be found at Ulta or HEB (Texas).

I just recently purchased the travel size Pssssst dry shampoo at Ulta for only $3.  I had heard amazing things about this one, but I was stubborn to try it since I felt I'd found my match with the Batiste.  However, I ended up liking this one more.  I am still working on the travel size, but I've been meaning to pick up a full size of this because it's truly amazing.  This totally embodies the perfect dry shampoo for me.  From the scent to the formula, it's great.  If I were to recommend any dry shampoo to anyone, it'd be this one.  While the Batiste is still a great contender, this one seemed to prevail!  To me, this one goes on the least gray and has the freshest scent (even better than the Batiste).The best part is, it is only $6 for the full size can, so it ends up being a little cheaper than the Batiste.  I have only seen this brand at Ulta so far.  

So there you have my experience with dry shampoo.  Hope this helps you decide which one to try. 

Until next time,

Jillian

No comments:

Post a Comment